Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Soon to train on convoy ops!

Well, we've had a good week in the barracks now, and it's been moderately pleasant. I've had combatives training, and discovered that I'm not much good at hand-to-hand fighting, and should probably take a sword with me to Afghanistan. Maybe I can buy one of Hamby's machete's or something...

I've had to register my weblog with the battalion S-2 for OPSEC reasons, which makes great sense. Registering only involves letting them know you HAVE a weblog and sending them a link to it. Then, I would imagine, they monitor you for OPSEC violations to see if they need to hit you with a hammer. I don't think that'll be an issue for me.

I talked to Hoffhaus this morning and he mentioned that he reads this weblog, so here's a "shout out" to him (or whatever the appropriate expression is these days). I think back in my day we just said "what up?" or something equally dumb...

Tomorrow we move out to the field again for a week of mounted convoy exercises. Now, get this: Irony, thy avatar is the U.S. Army. Back in early February I was transferred from my platoon, after qualifying with the SAW, and went to Mortar school. Then, eventually, I had to qualify with my M-4 carbine. I'm 11-M, 11-B, and 11-C qualified, 2nd class mortar gunner, and M-4 qualified Sharpshooter. But because I'm the only enlisted man in the entire section who's qualified with a "crew-served weapon" (my SAW), I'm back to using a SAW, so that we have a heavier weapon than an M-4 for our vehicle.

Short version- I went from 11-B SAW gunner to 11-C M-4 wielder. Had to take extra time to qualify with the M-4. Now I'm back to SAW gunner (still 11-C), because I'm the only one with the weapon qualfication. Semper Gumby, right?

And, btw, we all really hope that the OC's for this round of training are less difficult than the OC's who taught the IED course at the FOB last time. They did a lot more C'ing than they did O'ing. IMO, OC's should be asking the unit leadership what they were TRYING to do, and then evaluate the unit performance vs. what they were trying to do. Then, if the ideal wouldn't have accomplished what they were shooting for, discuss needed changes with unit leadership.

During all this time in the barracks, by the way, we still had to do PT. One day, we played soccer. 3 on 4 soccer, and by the way, I'm not very good at soccer. But it was good PT. I got a good cardio workout. Then, a couple days later, we played basketball. If possible, I'm even worse at basketball than I am at soccer. In fact, I'm so bad at basketball that the team that has to play me should get another extra player just to make up for having me. It's only fair if the teams are 6(including me) vs 4!

Had more to post, but the Inet cafe is full. gotta run!

No comments: