Thursday, February 14, 2008

My work as a UTS network engineer

Well, finally, Chief Simonsen (of the US Navy) has had enough and arranged for me to work with him to set up UTS. UTS (Universal Telecom Service) is the actual name of what I used to call "Hajji-net."

They have a Windows 2003 server, and a MicroTik linux server (which is currently in the shop). We have knowledge and expertise and a fluke NetTool for use in diagnosing problems on the network. And believe me, there are major problems!

We have tried installing and using Bandwidth Controller, but either I configured it wrong or the software is just junk, because it blocked all the users from the internet. The Linux server allegedly has built-in bandwidth control capability, though, so we might be using that as our gateway when it returns from the shop.

Meanwhile, I've spent all day today sitting in the UTS office (which is inside a shipping container), dealing with soldiers, sailors and civilians who have network issues. Part of my day has been spent compiling a database of users, listing their IP addresses and their MAC addresses, as well as which part of the FOB they are on (what "zone" they're in). And this afternoon I've been running around playing "test the cable" with most of the whole network backbone. Yay!

All of which has left me with a really tired feeling, although I haven't done any physical labor. Thinking is tough on the body.

No comments: